Summertime fashion isn’t always easy. While I love the styles of summer, I often struggle to balance looking cute and being comfortable. Here are some of my summertime tips.
- Apply makeup sparingly. I rarely wear makeup in the summer. I’m not putting it on for school everyday, so the only time I really wear it is when I’m dressing up to go out. Even then, though, I really only wear mascara and concealer.
- Lots of shorts and skirts. While I love pants and capris, they’re not ideal for a hot, humid day—I find myself sweating way too easily! Therefore, I like to focus shorts and skirts. They’re found in millions of lengths, colors, and designs, so try them all! My favorites are flowy shorts and long maxi skirts. Both allow me to move easily (because summer always includes walking!) and look stylish.
- Bright colors. Bright colors are the way to go in the summer—not only do they totally pop on tan skin, but bright colors, to me, are the highlight for summer. Nothing says warm weather like a bright blue tank. Additionally, dark colors like black absorb heat and make you hotter, while light colors such as pastels will reflect the sunlight and keep you cooler.
- Dresses, dresses, and more dresses. I don’t say this about everything, but a girl can never have too many sundresses! In the summer, you can wear them all. the. time. They’re the perfect way to look dressed up even when you didn’t try that hard, and they’re ridiculously comfortable. Plus, there are tons of varieties. My favorites are the skater and t-shirt dresses.
- Accessorize. I love adding accessories to any outfit—they add a final, irreplaceable touch. Since I’m not wearing scarfs, sweaters, or vests in July, my favorites elements to add in the summer are sun hats, jewelry, and sunglasses. Sun hats provide a sophisticated look that also protects you from the sun. Simple necklaces, anklets, and homemade beaded bracelets are the way to go, for me. Lastly, sunglasses are an awesome way to try out a new style you’ve been eyeing. Buying fun, different sunglasses spice things up and encourage a new style. I love brown sunglasses (over black) with big lenses; lots of people love aviators. I think they look great, but I honestly think they look horrid on me.
- Don’t forget sunscreen! Sunscreen is your friend; I’m totally serious. Not only does no one like being burnt, but being sunburnt can severely damage your skin. It’s easy to get sunburned when just doing errands on a sunny day! Most likely you’ll get tan without even trying. My favorite brand is Sun Bum sunscreen.