In honor of International Women’s Day this week (Wednesday, March 8), I wanted to share 15 quotes on all things women, feminism, and equality.
1. “A feminist is anyone who recognizes the equality and full humanity of women and men.” ―Gloria Steinem
2. “I think the best role models for women are people who are fruitfully and confidently themselves, who bring light into the world.” —Meryl Streep
3. “The more I have spoken about feminism, the more I have realized that fighting for women’s rights has too often become synonymous with man-hating. If there is one thing I know for certain, it is that this has to stop.” —Emma Watson
4. “When there are no ceilings, the sky is the limit. So let’s keep going—let’s keep going until every one of the 161 million women and girls across America has the opportunity she deserves to have.” —Hillary Clinton
5. “There is no limit to what we, as women, can accomplish.” —Michelle Obama
6. “Feminism isn’t about making women stronger. Women are already strong. It’s about changing the way the world perceives them.” —G.D. Anderson
7. “A girl should be two things: who and what she wants.” —Coco Channel
8. “To all the little girls who are watching, never doubt that you are valuable and powerful and deserving of every chance and opportunity in the world to pursue and achieve your own dreams.” —Hillary Clinton
9. “You can tell who the strong women are. They’re the ones building each other up, instead of tearing others down.” —Unknown
10. “I’m tough, I’m ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, okay.” ―Madonna
11. “In the future, there will be no female leaders. There will just be leaders.” —Sheryl Sandberg
12. “Feminism is for everybody.” ―Bell Hooks
13. “The enemy is not lipstick, but guilt itself. We deserve lipstick, if we want it, and free speech. We deserve to be sexual AND serious—or whatever we please. We are entitled to wear cowboy boots to our own revolution.” —Naomi Wolf
14. “I am a woman with thoughts and questions and shit to say. I say if I’m beautiful. I say if I’m strong. You will not determine my story—I will.” —Amy Schumer
15. “No woman should be told she can’t make decisions about her own body. When women’s rights are under attack, we fight back.” —Kamala Harris
Never, ever let anyone tell you that you can’t do something based upon your gender, race, religion, sexual identity, or anything else. YOU know yourself best.
Also a huge shoutout to all the strong, influential, and powerful women in the world. Please know you are truly making a difference—keep succeeding, whatever that may be.
To all the future strong, influential, and powerful women: never forget your voice and the impact you have on the world. You deserve every opportunity to succeed.