The peanut butter in this recipe adds a nutty flavor, while the oats and coconut make the bars deliciously chewy. The dark chocolate makes a delightful richness! And the vanilla and cinnamon add the perfect spice and aftertaste.
SO many protein bars out there have a never-ending ingredient list with foods you’d never find in your home. It’s extremely important to read both the nutrition facts and ingredient list! By making your protein bars at home, you ensure you know exactly what’s going in to them, and you save money 🙂
Protein Peanut Butter Bars with Coconut & Chocolate
Yields: 10 bars
For the base:
- 1/2 all-natural peanut butter (crunchy or creamy)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/3 cup pure honey (locally sourced if possible)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup vegan vanilla protein powder *
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
For the topping:
- 3 tablespoons chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- Cinnamon, for sprinkling
* I use the brand Vega. You may want to use 3/4 cup of protein powder, as often it can depend on the brand. The most important thing is to have the right consistency of batter, and the batter tastes good!
To prepare the bars, heat the peanut butter, coconut oil, honey, and vanilla extract in a sauce pan over low heat. Stir frequently until melted and smooth.
Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, and add the protein powder and oats. Fold until combined. Next add the chia seeds and shredded coconut.
Line a 9 by 9 inch pan with parchment paper, and press the mixture down. (Use your hands or a large spoon.) You shouldn’t be able to see the bottom of the pan after doing this.
To make the drizzle topping, heat the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small saucepan. Once melted and smooth, pour on top of the batter in the pan. Use a spoon to smooth the chocolate and have it cover all the bars.
Sprinkle with cinnamon! Place in the fridge for 1 hour, and then cut into bars. Enjoy 😛