Add the toppings you like best—there isn’t a right answer. This rich, creamy, and satisfying hot chocolate is both vegan and gluten-free, as well as not containing lots of sugar. It’s also chock-full of dark chocolate and enticing spices, which reminds me of the [wonderful] “Abuelita” hot chocolate I drank as a kid.
Thus far, this season I’ve been loving hot tea during the morning and at night. Not only is it insanely soothing, but it also warms me up, which is exactly what this delightful hot chocolate recipe below does. 🙂
Sweet & Spicy Hot Chocolate
- 2.5 cups plant milk *
- 70 g. dark chocolate (about 2/3 of a bar, 80% cacao)
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, ground
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, ground
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, ground
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1.5 tbsp. coconut sugar
* I used unsweetened Ripple milk, which is my new go-to for milk. The unsweetened variety has no sugar; an 8 oz. glass has 8 grams of protein, and the milk is entirely vegan! Almond milk is great, but it has less than even a full 1 gram of protein.
In a medium saucepan, bring the milk to a simmer.
Add in the dark chocolate. Whisk vigorously.
Once the chocolate is melted, whisk in the vanilla extract, cinnamon, sea salt, cayenne, and nutmeg.
Add in the coconut sugar, and whisk again.
Pour in a mug, and enjoy hot!